*
*
*
Friday, June 1


Here I am again. I’ve been eavesdropping on their conversation for like 10 to 15 minutes. They just came back from meeting and so just like leaves rustling in the trees when the wind blows, they rustle with gossips and I-don’t-believe-it looks of horror.

I think the place is crumbling and the company is folding.. soon. Yes, my friends. I might be watching the demise of a once upon a time luxury club. Seeeerious. Consider this. The gm has just been changed. And with that change, at least 2 upper management, who have been here for 12 – 13 years are leaving. And SOON. Like.. in less than 2 weeks. They tendered their resignation for such short notice that the ppl working directly under them are in a state of shock and loss. Even the new HR manager, who previously worked for Gillette, is complaining of gastric problems and such. She says that she had never felt such stress until recently. And the thing is, she’s been working here for less than 2 months!!!!!!

Imagine that. Old salt who have been working for the company ever since the club membership once was sold for $80k leaving. It reali says something about the way things are here. I can say that although ppl seem to be findy dandy, the consensus is that it just basically sucks here. Did u know that ppl who do admin duties here, including the ppl in my office and all do NOT have OT pay? Tts reali reali mad because these ppl DO NOT go back at office hours, they stay far beyond the time to finish up their work and make follow up phonecalls and show the clients around. And the members, who paid the premium price for the membership in its heydays are so mad and frustrated that the value has gone down to only about $6k lash out on the employees here.

I tink its rather unfair to say that I haven’t learnt anything during my stay here. I’ve learnt a lot!! About politicking, management and welfare! I trust that if I were to be given a management job in future, I will reflect deeply about the feelings of employees before implementing any decisions.

But, in the first place, I reali reali reali reali hope that I WOULD NOT be working for a local company. I tink that a small company is fine, like SMEs cause there tends to be less dissatisfaction and politicking but I think working for a midsize local company for this one is just downright pathetic.

The problem, I feel, is the thinking of the management. I feel that local companies are very profit motivated. Very “target” oriented. And the thing is, its fine to set a target because it gives employees a sense of expectation, but at the same time, there must be rewards to motivate these employees to act on the target. These ppl don’t get any form of rewards, only the mandatory 13 months pay. That is reali reali reali reali pathetic until I can faint ah. Reali. And as I mentioned, they don’t even get OT pay. Not onli that, somehow right, the management are super super frugal. Its so difficult to even ask for a shelf to put the files u know! So in the end, ppl usuali cannot stand the wait and just take money out of their own pockets to organize the company’s things. Madness right.

Tts y.. things like this u’ll never get to see or experience until u actuali immerse urself in the organization. Its super dysfunctional I tell u. and the thing is right, this kind of club is something where ppl cannot get intrinsic rewards one. If u work for a social organization or what then at least u stay on to help the ppl u are servicing. This one ah, u have to service these demanding, not-so-rich-but-act-like-bloody-rich ppl who scream at u like nobody’s business. I reali think its strange that there’s no reward system to reward employees ah. Reali. Tts crazy ah.

I tink that management must look at employees as people, human beings, not robots. Even a small gesture like giving a department a mug each to reward their performance will make ppl feel appreciated. But like I said, if u’re so frugal until u cannot even squeeze out $500 for mugs.. thts just pathetic ah.

Taking into account my experience, I have set a goal for myself.

1) I will work for a company with a positive and participative work environment
2) I will reach a management position in 5 years
3) I will continually upgrade my skills and certification such that I can go to better and better companies
4) I will eventually end up in an American or European MNC for a regional position

y angmoh companies? i think they have the best welfare. its evident in my brother's company which is an American company doing aeroplane engines and body. they have a buffet for ALL staff, including technicians and casual labour, which includes chefs making crepes and stirfry stations!!

i reali admire these kind of companies coz they reali understand tt they need to motivate ppl on order to get results. my dream company is Nestle. At the moment they're venturing in depth into the Halal market and they need management level ppl to pursue the markets.

yes. tt shall b my ultimate aim. Nestle! here i come!


Posted by theblackazure @ 12:08:00 PM
link this post |

ABOUT ME
I eat children for breakfast, I like my boys big and thick and I looove scratching my nose. My alter ego? She's that girl your mother warned you about.


ABOUT THE BLOG
Documenting parts of my rather uneventful life with writings that ocassionally display my schizophrenic tendencies. Blame it on the Gemini starsign.


TAGBOARD

BLOG ARCHIVES


OTHER BLOGS

LINKS AND THINGS

thanks
Designed by dragonfae
Hosted by BLOGGER.com
Thanks to blogskins.com